Saturday, June 23, 2012

What do you mean "in the moment"?

Ah, that is such a good question! We human beings seem to want stability, we want to be able to predict such things as "how long will it last?" We want to be able to plan - if we go to the lake, how long is the trip going to take? And we wish desperately for a pill, a salve, a cream, something that will take the pain away for a predictable length of time. I have not yet discovered such a medication. I am part of a wonderful palliative care team. My doctors and nurses are able to support patients on a 24/7 basis. If I call them, a response comes back to me in less than 30 minutes. A nurse who specializes in pain management has been assigned to me, and it is very reassuring to know that she knows my case, is familiar with my situation, with the meds I take, and with how my tolerance is working at this time. A quick and compassionate response is a very important part of my healing journey. It is important, however, for me to realize that I am on a healing journey; I am not on a race to find a cure. So, as I meet the severe pain on my lower back, or on my hip, I am aware, that we are part of a work in progress, moving toward the relief of pain, yet aware that we may not make it go away totally and for ever. Being in the moment requires an open mind, an awareness that we will use different modes, that we will address the pain in different ways, and that a good moment will be as long as it can be. We will be grateful for it, and be open to how ever long it lasts. We will be glad in it - that is what being "in the moment" means. And we will see you, along the way to Santiago, one moment at a time.

No comments: