Saturday, August 4, 2012

Lately, Singing has been useful for me at night. The pain at night makes me feel a bit desperate. I don't want to be too much of a wimp, for I don't want to move to ever more powerful meds too quickly. And I would like to maintain a sense of awareness and understanding of what is going on. 

So, David indulges me, we pray, singing the simple chants that we've learned over the years. The other night "take me, take me as I am" was a wonderful, meaningful statement. I believe that David was not freaked out by it; he just sang with me, understanding what I needed to say. I am amazed by David's capacity to do this special and intimate work with me. 

I am grateful for the guidance and gifts of listening of my ministers. Their presence reminds me, time and again and again, that I am not alone.


We sing, "Take me, oh take me as I am. Summon out what I shall be. Set a seal upon my heart, and live in me".  This is where I am. I am not bĂ­tter or upset. I am surrendering my life, thankfully asking to be "dismissed" to another level of work.


The medications, and hopefully the radiation session last week will continue to reduce the pain, helping me to "summon out what I shall be".


 Prayerfully, we continue our way to Santiago, and we will see you on the way. Lots of good singing on the way to Santiago!



3 comments:

Amanda said...

You are an amazing woman.

sel said...

We walked The Way together for years--you as a singer in my choir, I as a great admirer of your wisdom and courage and good humour even then. One of the things you gave me--and I'm not entirely sure that these were the words you used--was the concept of a moment one could take to eternity. We were having lunch, and you described one such moment for you--camping with your children, a time of perfect balance in your life and theirs. And I thought of one of mine--sitting with my husband Douglas in the organ loft of York Minster Cathedral late at night (which is the only time an organist can practice there), as he practiced for evensong the next day, tears streaming down our cheeks at the beauty of a single, soft flute in the magic acoustic. Thank you, Myrta, for sharing your moment with me and letting me share mine with you. You're not alone. Hoping to meet you and David again along The Way.

Rene said...

I sit here this morning after hearing of your passing. You were a great neighbour and a great friend and you will be missed. See you along the Way to Santiago.