Friday, April 15, 2011

How Does a Planetary Pilgrim Define Joy?

Today was a red-letter day. In the past, calendars used to mark special holidays in red - that is the meaning of the phrase "red-letter day". Today is the 15th of April. Today my oncologist told me that she is working with me toward healing, and assured me that, in her studied opinion, the cancer I have is curable.


To be sure, it will not be a fun spring and summer. Autumn may not be that great, either. But we shall be working toward healing. So far it looks like other organs, beyond the original breast lump and the lymph system, have not been affected.  There is still a need to further check certain questions regarding indications of chronic lung issues, and some bone indications that might just be arthritis. But we heard the word "curable", and we are relishing this today.


Chemotherapy will begin during the week after Easter. In the Eastern Orthodox tradition the first week after Easter counts as if it were one day - Easter Day. What a good week to start the next step of the journey toward healing!


My oncology appointment was long and tense for me, for David, and for our friend Sara. What an amazing gift she gave us, to come with us, to be present, to listen with us and to rejoice with us at the good news. It was good to know that there were three of us listening to the report of tests, and to the plans for chemotherapy.


Lots of work yet to do. Not out of the woods yet, but as Sara said, "At least we are in a clearing!"
Nothing else to report tonight. We will just bask in the good and hopeful feeling, and concentrate on getting ready for what is sure to be the challenge ahead.


Tonight I would like to think about the wonderful volunteers who work with such dedication and sensitivity. I would like to think about the folks at Hope Spring Cancer Support Centre. I would like to think about the staff and physicians who work at the Grand River Cancer Centre. Each of them is a person with their own story and reason for being active in this field.


Tonight is all about gratitude. It is a happy evening for me, because I have hope, and because more than ever I am aware that I am not alone.


Now, it is time I got going. There is bread baking in the kitchen, filling our home with the welcome aroma. Tomorrow we will think about chemo, and wigs, and injections, and blisters, and naps, and we will go on, with all  our friends and family, together, on the way to Santiago.

No comments: