Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Planetary Pilgrims need to sit quietly sometimes

Dr. Sharkey had news for me. There were cancer cells in the lymph nodes. Tests are in order, and so is chemotherapy and radiation. My immediate family knows.

Today is one of those "sit quietly" days. I have spoken with both of my children. I have spoken with one sister and one niece, and the others will surely come soon. I got a quiet huge hug from a young man with Acadian roots, who works in New York City. I have held my dear husband's hand. I have made a call to my mentor, Tom O'Connor. I have received a comforting e-mail from Gail.

Not bad, for a "sit quietly" day.

What else did I do? A quick trip to the Greek store to buy Easter cookies and to place my orders for Easter bread. I certainly plan to celebrate the triumph of life over death on Easter Sunday! I  went to the mall and bought some items of clothing, and one big, beautiful, expensive, delightful purse and a scarf. A pink purse and scarf.

Lastly, I made an appointment with my dear friend of 40 years, to go to the mall later this week. I want to buy a wig. A really neat wig with really, really short, mostly white hair. I will not sit in the corner, whimpering, waiting for this stuff to catch up with me. I shall go out to the crossroad, and meet it.

This is not just bravado, or denial, or anger, though there is a lot of that. This is the certainty that I have had crappy days in my life before. Ah, but this time I know what is coming, and I am comfortable. Pissed, angry, but not bitter.

When my son John was little, he delighted in using interesting words. He was comfortable with a Thesaurus, and used it to great advantage. Nothing like hearing your grade three son say "Mom, just tell them that you are quite concerned about this". Whatever the reason for my concern on that day is lost in my memory, but the phrase remains. I am quite concerned about this diagnosis of cancer. And I feel a bit shaken when I think that we are now looking to determine where (if) it has metastasized. Yes. There. I have said it. I am concerned. So is David, and so is everyone on my team.

Ioanna called me. She is in Paris, working on behalf of the Canadian people. I am proud of her and of my son. Together with David they, and their partners and family, are my main support.

But, I now have a wider team -- oncologists, radiologists, nurses, volunteers and others who work hard to make cancer history.

Lastly, today I found a great recipe. Broccoli and chicken, with cream of mushroom soup, grated cheddar cheese and bread crumbs. Goes well with basmati rice, a green salad, and possibly some wine (though no wine for me. I am a cheap date.) I will just enjoy the broccoli and the chicken.

Just the meal to have before setting out on the road again, with your blessings and my friends and family, to Santiago!

10 comments:

Dale said...

i'm so sorry that your news from the doc wasn't better. I don't want to say any of those dumb, wrong things that people say when they're trying to be encouraging, but I do want you to know that I'm thinking of you and I'm glad to know that you are surrounded by loving support as you face this challenge so bravely.

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you & praying...

Randy

Gabriel said...

I'm so sorry to hear the news! I'm out of town for a few weeks, so it seems I will have to wait to give you a hug. Be strong, you have A LOT of people who love you and David and are praying for you.

I know I am one of them!

elsmuck said...

Myrta--love and prayers are coming your way. Love you.

Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.

Myrta Rivera said...

What a wonderful morning gift to wake up to your notes. Thanks.
No matter what storms blow into my life, I seem to be able to sleep, always!

jane Mitchell said...

I am so sorry Myrta.You are on my prayer list. I'm sure you are on lots.

Jeanette said...

This circle formed around you, of those who care about you, and for you ... we keep having to take a step back to make room for others who are continually joining the circle... it's getting really, really big!

Myrta Rivera said...

Come in, sit down; there's room at the table,lots of room!

Anonymous said...

Myrta, We just learned today of the news from your doctor and are sorry that it wasn't better. We usually exchange happier news over that fence. We are confident though, that you will successfully weather this storm. We know of very few people with the inner strength and special glow you posess, and with which you have encouraged and comforted many people in your life. It's time now to turn some of that aura inward. Always thinking of you and always there for you both. Talk soon.

The Fellow Pilgrims Next Door

Myrta Rivera said...

The fellow pilgrims next door. How lucky we are!