Friday, April 8, 2011

Today, this Planetary Pilgrim has glowing bones!

I had a full body bone scan at St. Mary's Nuclear Medicine Department today. First, they injected a small amount of radioactive substance and sent me home for three hours, while it spread to my bones. Then, three hous later, I returned to the hospital for the actual scan.


These isotope materials are very expensive, I understand. Thanks to Tommy Douglas of Saskatchewan for his dreams of a just health care service, and to the Minority Pearson Government during the 60's, who made such service possible across our country. And thanks to the citizens of Canada, and of Ontario, for our excellent health care services in this Province! 


For a short while today, my bones glowed under special circumstances, such as when the scan took place.


Just half an hour under the scanner, and painless. Yet how much my doctors will be able to detect from the report! The imaging agent allows for detection of abnormalities in the bone due to, among other things, tumors.The scan will help to determine if the cancer has spread to the bones.


While I lay under the scanner, which was ominously close to my body and moved very slowly, I was reminded of  Psalm 138. Listen to the moving beauty of this hymn, and perhaps you will feel as I felt, while I underwent this awesome test:


"O, God, you have searched me and known me. You know when I sit down and rise up. You discern my path, and the places I rest, you are familiar with all my ways...  


"Where can I hide from your presence? If I ascend to the heavens, you are there; if I lie down in the grave, you are even there. If I take wing with the dawn, and alight at the sea's farthest limits, there also your hand will be guiding me, your powerful hand, holding me fast..." 


It is not my custom to go around quoting scripture. But I have grown up hearing these readings all my life. They are part of our language, our literature. These words come at times such as these, and resonate with meaning and hope. I was being scanned by a marvelous machine, yes. But I also found comfort in knowing that I am known by a power that is loving and eternal. Once again, under the full body scanner and with my bones glowing, I was reminded that I am known. And that I am not alone!


It is time I got going. More tests next week, and also 2 appointments with the folks at the Grand River Cancer Centre. After that we shall have a clearer road map. And surely, we will see each other around, glowing, on the way to Santiago.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

TE AMAMOS !!! Tito y Yuly

elsmuck said...

You are never alone, nor have you ever been, nor will you be. Love you Myrta.